ONLINE REFERRAL SYSTEM All referrals are now made using our online system through our bid to make the system easier paperless and more accessible.
- Individual or family contacts a support agency if not just present yourself at a distribution centre nearest to your home.
- The support agency assesses the client’s needs and puts support in place, one aspect of this support may be a referral to the food bank.
- The client takes their food referral voucher to the nearest distribution centre during opening hours and exchanges their voucher for the food parcel specified by the agency on the voucher.
Our aim: We work to meet the immediate needs of those referred to us to establish the root cause of their crisis and determine how we can best help them to resolve these issues. We work in partnership with other agencies signposting service users to other support groups.
To qualify for help, families and individuals have to be referred by a professional care organisation, such as Social Services, D.I.A.L. Great Yarmouth Borough Council, Probation Service, Citizens Advice Bureau, Churches, Schools, Early Childhood and Family Service (formerly all Children Centres), Doctors Surgeries, Genesis Housing, Stonham Housing, CGL Service, The Matthew Project, JobCentre Plus, local councillors and several others.
Our large group of referral agencies can issue food vouchers to families and individuals assessed as needing help. Under normal circumstances, vouchers would be issued to individuals or families until it is clear that the crisis is over. The Food Bank is happy to work with the Referral Agencies should there be extenuating circumstances.
The Food Bank relies on the local network of Referral Agencies to ensure that the service is made available to local people who are experiencing a personal or family crisis. If your organisation is not currently a referral agent and you would like to learn more about becoming one and how to refer their clients to our foodbank, then please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- postal address
- office email
- office telephone number
- name of the dedicated foodbank liaison contact
- email address (ideally different from above)
- mobile telephone number (optional)
Our Referral Agents are made up of different organisations, as follows:
- Social Workers
- Probation Services
- Homeless / Refuge Units / Hostels
- Early Childhood and Family Service (formerly all Children Centres) / Children’s services
- Health Visitors
- Doctors Surgeries
- Church Pastoral Workers
- New Referral Agencies: If you have just heard about our service & wish to partner with us, please contact us as a matter of urgency to discuss your interest before making referrals. Thankyou.
Free hot meals during the covid crisis: There are take away meals for the homeless and for other people on benefits in the Great Yarmouth and Gorleston areas. All meals are free and strictly for Great Yarmouth Borough residents only.
Venues, days and times are as follows:
St Mary Magdalene Church, Magdalen Square, Gorleston, NR31 7BZ
The Salvation Army, Tolhouse Street, Great Yarmouth, NR30 2SQ
Monday Thursday 12.00pm
The Well Gorleston Baptist Church Lowestoft Road, Gorleston, NR31 6LY
Monday and Thursday 10 – 12.00
Pathway Café Minster Mission Admiralty Road, Great Yarmouth, NR30 3DG
Tuesday Wednesday, Saturday lunchtimes
Main Points For Referral Agencies:
- The Foodbank provides emergency food, toiletries, baby items for people experiencing a temporary financial crisis.
- Each parcel aims to contain towards a week’s ration of tinned and dried food; depending on availability there may also be some fresh bread, cakes, fruit and vegetables.
- The aim is to support those in crisis whilst long term support is put in place, rather than create a cycle of dependency.
- We rely on the agencies who partner with us to assess the need for emergency food by looking into why a crisis arose in the first instance and how it can be best resolved.
- It is not essential during covid l to have a food referral voucher to access food parcels.
- We require the person’s or family’s main details to enable us to respond particularly the date of birth of the claimant.
- Parcels are available at the distribution points for collection within the hours advertised. If there is a mobility problem please ring ahead.
- If you cannot access an agency then come and see us first.
Food bank information and links.
What Foodbank parcels are available?
How can I help or donate to the Great Yarmouth Foodbank scheme?
How do I get referred for a Foodbank parcel?